RSS Guard is a simple (but powerful) feed reader. It is able to retrieve the most popular feed formats including RSS / RDF and ATOM. It’s free, it’s open source. RSS Guard currently supports Czech, Dutch, English, French, German and Italian. RSS Guard will never depend on other services – this includes online news aggregators like Feedly, The Old Reader, and others.
RSS Guard is built on top of the Qt library and supports the following operating systems:
- the Windows
- GNU / Linux
- OS / 2 (eComStation)
- Mac OS X
- xBSD (optionally)
- Android (possibly)
- other platforms supported by Qt
The main features of RSS Guard are:
- support for online stream synchronization via plugins,
- Tiny Tiny RSS (from RSS Guard 3.0.0).
- multi platform,
- support for all stream formats,
- import / export of streams to / from OPML 2.0,
- downloader with its own tab and support for up to 6 parallel downloads,
- message filter with regular expressions,
- retrieving feed metadata, including icons,
- simple Adblock functionality,
- personalized pop-up notifications,
- Google-based auto-completion for the internal web browser’s address bar,
- possibility to clean the internal message database with various options,
- automatic update of improved feeds with separate time intervals,
- support for multiple data backends,
- SQLite (databases in memory too),
- is able to specify the target database by name (MySQL backend),
- Support for “portable” mode with intelligent automatic detection,
- food categorization,
- drap-n-drop for the stream list,
- automatic checking of updates,
- possibility of discovering existing feeds on websites,
- full podcast support (both RSS and ATOM),
- possibility of backing up / restoring the database or the parameters,
- complete basket,
- printing of messages and all web pages,
- can be fully controlled via the keyboard,
- stream authentication (Digest-MD5, BASIC, NTLM-2),
- manages tons of messages and flows,
- soft look & feel,
- fully adjustable toolbars (editable buttons and style),
- possibility to check for updates on all platforms + auto-update on Windows,
- main menu, toolbars and hideable list headers,
- Default icon theme based on KFeanza + possibility to create your own icon themes,
- fully customizable user interface + possibility to create your own skins,
- “journal” view,
- a lot of skins,
- support for the “feed: //” URI scheme,
- possibility to hide the list of feeds / categories,
- open source development model based on the GNU GPL license, version 3,
- tabbed interface,
- integrated web browser with adjustable behavior + external browser support,
- support for internal web browser mouse gestures,
- integration into the desktop via the status bar icon,
- localizations in certain languages,
- The Qt library is the only dependency,
- open source development model and sympathetic author waiting for your feedback,
- no advertising, no hidden costs.
RSS Guard 4.0.3 Release Notes:
- It is now possible to disable hard-coded keyboard shortcuts in feed / article lists so that user-defined single-line shortcuts can work properly. (# 484)
- The skins have reverted to 4.0.1 because they were very buggy. Previous skins were stable and will be used for the time to come. I will be making a brand new polished skin in a future release which will not replace existing skins but will be added.
- The Settings dialog now remembers its size and also adds scroll bars if needed. Was also polite a bit. (# 493)
- The standard “RSS / ATOM / …” service / account icon has been updated to be the “RSS” icon, not the “RSS Guard” icon and is also pre-selected in the “Add” dialog box. an account”.
- Updated documentation and translations.
- The lower “Written By” section of the article preview now uses the same date / time format as the article list.
- Redesigned code.
- Icons are now correctly loaded when retrieving the list of feeds in Tiny Tiny RSS.
- Online article search now uses a much smaller timeframe after entering the search phrase.
Get notified of all our software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
Report a problem with the article